For parents who are interested, MGPS offers a Healthy Buffet Programme that is healthy, child friendly home-style cooked brunch every day where students can choose what they would like to eat.
This requirement has been a main part of our philosophy since the very beginning. Our aim is to provide top quality meals for schools on a daily basis. Our meals are prepared fresh and from scratch every day. To the best possible extent, we avoid using ready-made products.
There is nothing wrong with the occasional frozen or pre-cooked meal; sometimes it is the easy and fast way to fill a growling stomach. However, a healthy and good tasting meal from our perspective is something different. The meals have to fulfill the nutritional needs of children on a daily basis.
In the classroom, we continually teach and reinforce healthy lifestyle principles:
- The balance needed within a healthy diet e.g. protein, vitamins, minerals and the importance of other such nutrition
- Which foods naturally contain important nutrition
- Alternatives to sugary foods
- The damage of sugar on the body and on the teeth
- Dental and Personal Hygiene
- Various ways to exercise that are attainable to respective age group
- The importance of healthy bones in a healthy body
- Drinking enough water a day.
We request parents to support us in our Healthy Eating Policy. Packed brunches should have a healthy balance with foods that contain vegetables, proteins and dairy products over sugary or high cholesterol foods. We encourage parents to send with their child
- Portion of fruits and vegetables
- Water or milk
- Cheese or meats
- Bread or Pasta
Food that is prohibited in school:
- Fizzy drinks/soda
- Sweets and cakes